Friday, October 30, 2009

Joan Brown made sculpture

I did not know that Joan Brown made sculpture. No one told me. Even the art schools I've attended had poor books of Brown's work in their libraries. They were all black white and/or had faded pages. I want a good monograph on her. (hint, hint).
I love her paintings and find her sculpture very charming. That sounds kind of minimizing, but charm is underrated.

She died fairly young at age 51, at a construction site in India, while they (and her?) were installing an obelisk. Stories like these make me think religion (she obviously was attracted to the Far Eastern sort) is a joke.

No matter, long live Joan Brown! LACMA recently replaced their Joan Brown with a John Altoon, another very underrated artist, in their permanent display this year. When is a god damn space gonna give either a full retrospective?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

Jennifer Sullivan said...

I LOVE Joan Brown. Her sculptures are cool too.