Saturday, November 14, 2009

H.R. of Bad Brains



I saw this photo of H.R. at a recent concert for Vice Magazine. What strikes me about H.R. now is that he seems just as menacing on stage as he ever did, even though for more than ten years now, he stands completely still throughout the set and bows Rasta style after every song, as opposed to his eff shit up stage antics when he was young, as seen below



Bad Brains still ranks as perhaps the best, most visceral live band I ever saw.
When I was in highschool, upon seeing this Rasta, black, hardcore band, on a poster, I thought I was seeing something from outer space. It opened up a new world of music to me.

Dr. Know and Earl from Bad Brains lived in Woodstock for many years and played Bard in a reggae group a couple of times when I went there. I accosted Dr. Know after a show and said I was a big fan and stupidly asked him what happened to H.R. I dunno what I expected him to say to that. "Yeah, let's grab a cup of coffee and talk about it, Max". He just said "Long story." and walked away. I deserved that. But I'm glad to see they're back together. H.R. is the the most menacing front man ever.

No comments: