Tuesday, February 16, 2010

In Regards to "Weird Science" (1986)

Photobucket

I revisited this film and was reminded how much I loved it when I grew up. My peers and I would watch and quote it over and over again tirelessly. They don't make 'em like they used to.

I was amused at the overt symbolism in the latter half of the film. When the two boys try to impress their bullies by making them a girl with their computer, they instead accidentally summon a Persian missile to pierce their house from the ground up.

Their created "woman", played by Kelly LeBrock, who had a gentle-but-firm sort of sexiness unlike no other since, castigated them for the two boys' hubris in trying to make people like them for what they can do, not for who they are.

A huge, war-like phallus was their comeuppance. It's Ham-fisted genius on the part of John Hughes.

No comments: