Monday, June 9, 2008

Vermont Update

Photobucket
Photobucket
I could not sleep until 3am last night because of my jet lag in tandem with the nasty humid weather. I popped a couple of Advil PMs and that magic mallet knocked me out cold until about noon the next day. I arrived at the beginning of lunch. Having to find a place to sit in the dining area reminded me of the same anxiety I had every time I went to the cafeteria in college. The idea of having to talk to whatever middle-aged stranger whose table I decided to invade weighed heavy on me. But I got through it OK.
I talked to some older lady about painting. She didn't like Philip Guston. I tried to make a convert out of her not knowing what else to say. She remained skeptical. "Too much pink", she said. She liked Lucian Freud. I scrunched my face as if I was a 5 year old being fed brussel sprouts. A stalemate.

Because of the heat, making anything during the day proved to be difficult. I passed out on the floor of my studio for awhile wearing nothing but my boxers. I felt like I was at the bottom of a jacuzzi—and not in a good way.

But when the night fell I was able to start some pieces. Oh, and I got my bag back from Delta. Today was a good day.

No comments: